11.18.2011

A word on the Precious...

...My Precious (engagement ring) that is!
Lord of the Rings - Gollum

I know I have posted before some pictures of my ring, but I wanted to take a moment to talk a little about engagement rings, and in particular, my beauty. 

Of course, here are some pictures...



Swoon!!! Anyway, besides the fact that I love my ring, Patrick found it without any information or preferences from me. The other day when we had gone shopping for wedding rings, I was SOOOOO nervous about helping Patrick find the right one, and he bought me the perfect ring without any specifics! It must have been nerve-wracking.

When I thought about what I would want for my engagement ring, I never really had a true preference. To be completely honest, I thought I'd like a diamond, but had never really cared about the cut or setting. The ring Patrick found for me is perfect. I wouldn't ever change it. In fact, I am a little obsessive about it's care and cleaning, and also about staring at it when I think no one is watching. And now that I have it and it is a diamond, I wouldn't want any other stone. I am so grateful that P knows me so well, and gave me such a glorious gift, not only the diamond but the promise it stands for.

The thing is; yes he bought the perfect ring and I could wax poetic about it for hours, but (that would be really annoying, and) I do want to say that if he had given me anything; a pearl, a moissy, a ring-pop, a plastic spider ring from a vending machine --- I still would have said yes! 

Engagement rings were first used as a symbol of betrothal as far back as ancient Rome, and were first introduced into Western culture in the 13th century. The first well-documented use of a diamond ring to symbolize an engagement was by the Archduke Maximilian of Austria in imperial court of Vienna in 1477, when he became engaged to Mary of Burgundy. Another interesting tidbit is that t sewing thimbles were often used to symbolize engagement. Diamond rings and other expensive sparklys began becoming the new norm in proposals as the material image for the human sexuality. Also to visually symbolize the marriage prospects. Now, although diamonds are custom, we see all sorts of engagement rings as well as rings for the men or one who proposes in addition to wedding bands. 


I love that the engagement and wedding rings become an outward symbol to the world of the union of two people. And although, and I mean this, I would feel just as engaged to Patrick if I had no ring I am very honored to be able to wear a beautiful ring everyday that when I look down at it, I think of us. 


Best,


Micah


P.S. Now we have amazing shiny wedding bands to go with it! EEEK!

No comments:

Post a Comment